Institution’s Innovation Council (IIC)
- To create a vibrant local innovation ecosystem.
- Start-up supporting Mechanism in HEIs.
- Prepare institute for Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements Framework.
- Establish Function Ecosystem for Scouting Ideas and Pre-incubation of Ideas.
- Develop better Cognitive Ability for Technology Students
- To conduct various innovation and entrepreneurship-related activities prescribed by Central MIC in time bound fashion.
- Identify and reward innovations and share success stories.
- Organize periodic workshops/ seminars/ interactions with entrepreneurs, investors, professionals and create a mentor pool for student innovators.
- Network with peers and national entrepreneurship development organizations.
- Create an Institution’s Innovation portal to highlight innovative projects carried out by institution’s faculty and students.
- Organize Hackathons, idea competition, mini-challenges etc. with the involvement of industries.
|1.||President||: Dr. B M Singh|
|2.||Vice President||: Dr. Aadesh Kumar Arya|
|3.||Convener||: Dr. Mridula|
|4.||IPR Activity Coordinator||: Dr. Siddharth Jain|
|5.||Startup Activity Coordinator||: Mr. B D Patel|
|6.||Internship Activity Coordinator||: Mr. Varun Pratap Singh|
|7.||Innovation Activity Coordinator||: Mr. B D Patel|
|8.||Social Media Coordinator||: Mr. Sonu Kumar|
|9.||Member||: Mr. Kamal Kant Verma|
|10.||Member||: Mr. Shashank Yadav|
|1||My Story-Innovator’s Life & Crossroad Motivational Speak-To be Share by Innovators||Quarter-1|
|2||First Innovation Day Celebration on 15th October, 2019 as Mark of Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam Birthday||Quarter-1|
|3||One Day Workshop on “Entrepreneurship and Innovation as Career Opportunity”||Quarter-1|
|4||One Day Workshop on Problem Solving/Design Thinking/Ideation Workshop/Campus Hackathon||Quarter-1|
|5||Field /Exposure Visit to Village/Society/School/Industry/ Market-Identity real Life Problem||Quarter-1|
|6||My Story- Entrepreneur’s Life & Crossroad- Motivational Speak- To be Share by Entrepreneurs||Quarter-1|
|IIC Activity Calendar|
|7||Engage Students for Internship at Innovation and Start-up Centre/Incubation Unit etc. during Semester Break (Duration minimum 15 days)||Quarter-2|
|8||Organise a workshop/Seminar/Call for Paper presentation on Innovation/ Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship||Quarter-2|
|9||Organise a Product Design/ Design Thinking Workshop||Quarter-2|
|10||Field/Exposure Visit to Design Centre/Makers’ Space/ Fab Lab/Prototype Lab/Tinkering Lab etc.||Quarter-2|
|IIC Activity Calendar|
|11||Field/Exposure Visit to Incubation Unit/Patent Facilitation Centre/Technology Transfer Centre||Quarter-3|
|12||Organise Workshop on Business Model Canvas (BMC) and (or) Business Plan Competition to Invite Innovative Business Models from Students||Quarter-3|
|13||Organise One day Session on “How to plan for Start-up and legal and Ethical Steps”||Quarter-3|
|14||Organise One Day Awareness/Mentoring Session on IPR & IP Management for Innovation and Start-ups||Quarter-3|
|IIC Activity Calendar|
|15||Session on Accelerator/Incubation - Opportunity for Student Faculty - Early Stage Entrepreneurs||Quarter-4|
|16||Organise Session on “Lean Start-up & Minimum Viable Product/Business”- Boot Camp (or)Mentor Session||Quarter-4|
|17||Demo Day – Exhibition Cum Mentorship Session for Student & faculty Start-ups to Showcase||Quarter-4|
|18||Start-up Residency -Internship in Start-ups – 15 Days to 2 Months during the semester break||Quarter-4|
Institution’s Innovation Council (IIC)
College of Engineering Roorkee (COER)
Report on Activities of COER IIC for Quarter 1
(September 2019 – November 2019)
- First Innovation Day Celebration on 15th October, 2019 as Mark of Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam Birthday
- One Day Workshop on Problem Solving/Design Thinking/Ideation Workshop/Campus Hackathon etc.
- Expert Lecture on “Entrepreneurship and Innovation as Career Opportunity”
- One Day Workshop on Design Thinking
- One Day Workshop on Soft Skills
- One Day Workshop on Solution of Smart Grid Solutions using Software
- My Story - Innovator’s Life & Crossroad Motivational Speak - To be Shared by Innovator
- Field/Exposure Visit to Village/Society /School/Industry/Market – Identify real Life Problem
First Innovation Day Celebration on 15th October, 2019 as Mark of Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam BirthdayMinistry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) has declared 15th October as Innovation Day to commemorate the Birthday of Hon’ble Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, former President of India. Therefore, 15th October, 2019 shall be marked as Innovation Day at COER. Young innovators of various streams of B.Tech and MBA have participated in Innovative Idea Poster Presentation and Power Point Presentation (PPT) events. About the Events:
- Pre-Final was organized in each department on 14-10-2019 from 2:00 PM onwards.
- Final was organized on 15-10-2019 in CE-105 from 3:00 PM onwards. (Only Selected PPTs and Posters has presented)
- Attractive prizes were distributed to winners.
Organise One Day Workshop on Campus Hackathon on 22nd October, 2019COER HACKATHON – 2019 is a College level competition to provide students a platform to solve some of the pressing problems we face in a daily life and thus inculcate a culture of product innovation and a mindset of problem solving. Description: The purpose of the event is to enhance the skills of students in Concept Based Ideas. This event tried to cover the basics of Algorithm and Flowchart with the help of a Problem Statement. The students were given three problem statements as follows: Problem 1: Design a website assistance module for COER website which should include Real time query redressal. Problem 2: Design a timeline of COER major achievements in last five years (for e.g. - 2015 to 2019). Problem 3: Design an algorithm for social media sentiment analysis. The tweets, Facebook posts etc. can be analyzed to understand the citizen sentiments. (Note: Algorithm should be step-wise and well defined, and should incorporate all possible scenarios) They were asked to design and implement a solution for the first two problem statements. For third problem, they have to design an algorithm and provide a description. The students competed in a team of 2 to 5 participants.
Expert Lecture on Entrepreneurship and Innovation as Career Opportunity on 5 November, 2019
Objective: In this globalized era, the demand for entrepreneurship development is increasing day by day in business operations in India and all over the world. Entrepreneurship development focuses on understanding the behavioral planning of appropriate business abilities and gives Industry oriented knowledge.About Event: The students of B.Tech/MBA/BBA have participated in Expert Lecture on “Entrepreneurship and Innovation as Career Opportunity” delivered by Dr. Avinash Chandra Joshi, Former Director (HR), Uttarakhand Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd. Dehradun and General Manager, THDC India Ltd., Rishikesh.
- The Expert Lecture was organized on 05-11-2019 in CE-105 from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
- A total of 127 students from COER other UTU affiliated institutes participated were attended the Expert Lecture.
One Day Workshop on Design Thinking on 14 November, 2019The main objectives of the workshop are to enhance the participant’s understanding of basic concepts and theory related to the understanding. Solution-based approach to solve the problems. It is a way of thinking and working as well as a collection of hands-on methods. About the Event In continuation of AICTE mandates regarding the enhancing skills of faculty, scholars and students of University, Uttarakhand Technical University, Dehradun under the aegis of Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP-III) organized one day workshop on the Design Thinking at Department of Management Studies, College of Engineering Roorkee (COER) on Nov 14, 2019. This workshop is useful in engineering and business. It can assist everyone systematically to extract, teach, learn and apply human-centered techniques to solve problems in a creative and innovative way. Session started with inauguration and welcome address by Prof. S P Gupta, Director General COER, emphasized on importance of design thinking. He motivated the participants to be more inspired by the sessions. Invited speaker Dr Akshay Dvivedi Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, IIT Roorkee explored, Strategies to overcome problems: How to produce and design a Prototype and solve the problem” Expert emphasized on Case Study of Development of adaptive feedback – dissection device for cleft palate surgery. He also explained the methods of adaptive strategies with reference to design thinking. Session was well received by the audience. Dr Inderdeep Singh, Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, IIT Roorkee, started the “Ice Breaking session: Thinking differently -Journey from Past to future of Product Development Process”. He enlightened the session from scratch to the peak with his expertise in the field, connecting the dots of a common man problem to reengineering capabilities of design thinking. He enriched the audience with smallest examples to world famous case studies on Design Thinking artifacts. He covered major areas of Design Thinking like how to think differently, an introduction, conduct prototype, finalizing the contents and future scope of discussed topic.
ONE DAY WORKHOP ON SOFT SKILLS ON 15 NOVEMBER, 2019The objective of the Soft Skills training workshop was to give each student a realistic perspective of work and work expectations, to help them formulate problem solving skills, to guide students in making appropriate and responsible decisions, to create a desire to fulfill individual goals and to educate students about unproductive thinking, self-defeating emotional impulses, and self- defeating behaviors. A one day workshop was organized under the Institution’s Innovation Cell by English Department, College of Engineering Roorkee on 15.11.2019. The expert speakers were Prof. (Dr.) Nagendra Kumar, H.O.D, Humanities, IIT Roorkee and Prof. (Dr.) Binod Mishra, IIT Roorkee. The workshop was held in the Seminar Hall of the college from 11:00 a. m to 5:00 p. m. Prof. (Dr.) S. P. Gupta, DG COER welcomed the guests by presenting them organic Tulsi plants. Session -1 was on the ‘Importance of Soft Skills in the technical world’. Prof. Nagendra Kumar explained the skills LSWR and highlighted the resilient link between soft skills and hard skills. Session-2 was on ‘Soft Skills: Mantras to succeed in life’. Prof. Binod Mishra left the audience spell bound with his elocution and delivery of speech .He talked about identifying the hidden skills and sharpen them to succeed in life. He laid emphasis on the fact that everybody is born with some talent, we need to have confidence and positive approach towards life.
One Day Workshop on Solution of Smart Grid Problems using software on 19 November, 2019The main objective of the workshop are to enhance the participant’s understanding of basic concepts and theory related to the understanding of FACTS Devices, renewable generation, Distribution and Automation in Smart Grid infrastructure. The participants will also be provided hands on practical experience in advance laboratory of the department along with all the theory relevant to this particular area of the smart power system. About Event: The faculty members, research scholar and students of B.Tech have participated in one day workshop on “Solution of Smart Grid Problems using software”. Dr. Saurabh Chanana, Associate Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, NIT Kurukshetra and Dr. Atma Ram Gupta, Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, NIT Kurukshetra he experts were experts for workshop. The one day workshop was organized on 19-11-2019 in IBM Lab from 09:00 AM to 5:45 PM. A total of 53 participants from COER other UTU affiliated institutes participated were attended the workshop. Outcome of Program: The participants have learned the basic fundamentals of Smart Grid. The participants have understand about the application of FACTS devices with distributed generation (DG) in distribution system. The participants have learned Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Enabled AC High Voltage Test System. ICT enabled high voltage (HV) laboratory is an effective educational tool for all of the institutes those offer Electrical and Electronic Engineering programs at undergraduate and post graduate levels.
- The participants have learned about the General Algebraic Modeling System (GAMS) software. This software is a high-level modeling system for mathematical optimization. GAMS is designed for modeling and solving linear, nonlinear, and mixed-integer optimization problems.
- The participants have learned the GAMS programming for various problem of Smart Grid.
One Day Workshop on My Story – Innovator’s Life and crossroad Motivational Speak – to be share by innovators on 20 November, 2019The main objective of the workshop is to motivate the students through innovator’s life for doing innovative work for society. About Event: The faculty members and students of B.Tech (EE/CS/ITET) have participated in one day workshop on “My Story – Innovator’s Life and crossroad Motivational Speak – to be share by innovators”. Prof. Gopal Gupta was the expert for workshop. Gupta is an Erik Jonsson Chaired Professor and the head of the Department of Computer Science at the University of Texas at Dallas. He is the chief technology officer and co-founder of Interoperate.biz, He is also the co-founder and co-coordinator of COMPULOG AMERICAS, a network of research groups in the Western Hemisphere engaged in research on computational logic. He has been active in research for over 25 years mainly in the field of programming languages, software engineering, parallel and distributed processing and assistive technology. His work has resulted in over 40 journal articles and 108 conference and workshop papers.
- The one day workshop was organized on 20-11-2019 in Seminar Hall (CE-105) from 09:30 AM to 1:30 PM.
- A total of 180 students and 20 Faculty from COER participated were attended the workshop.
- Siddharth Jain was the workshop coordinator.
Visit in Village on 22 November, 2019Objective:
- To know the productivity of the farmers.
- To know the status of farm mechanization in the surveyed village.
- Impact of natural hazard on rural farmers’ productivity.
- Different implements used by farmers
- Nature of crops grown there
- The time of sowing and harvesting of crops
- Methods of irrigating the field
- Any manure/fertilizer used by farmers
- Storage of grains
- Pros and cons of organic versus chemical fertilizer